Web and Social Producer
If you naturally write in a fresh, witty voice, while respecting objective
journalism, legal issues, and copyrights, this may be the career move for you.
If you post to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram for work, know SnapChat,
Periscope, Ask.fm, and Vine, this may be the career move for you.
If you can bust out straight breaking news quickly and accurately while
simultaneously monitoring trends on Tweetdeck, and chatting with your boss on AIM -- and do it all with a smile -- this may be the career move for you.
Play a central role in growing the digital reach of three Midwestern
properties of Hearst Newspapers, one of the largest media companies in the world. The Illinois group -- comprised of The (Alton) Telegraph,
The (Edwardsville) Intelligencer and The Journal-Courier -- is looking for an innovative and experienced web producer/social producer to join our team.
The ideal candidate will proactively self-assign stories that are on the verge of going viral, making sure all three sites and their corresponding social media presences are ahead of the day's news. They are an idea generator with strong social roots. She or he must be able to create or curate stories as needed while managing social media analytics and best practices, and bringing innovative multimedia, multi-platform, multi-social network ideas to a larger team.
What will you do?
* Create daily stories, photo galleries, and videos for the three websites,
myjournalcourier.com, theintelligencer.com and thetelegraph.com
* Work with a team of reporters and editors as needed to gather information, as well as coach other journalists in best practices for leveraging online presence
* Help further establish the websites as “the brand” for complete and
accurate local news coverage.
* Monitor the three sites, as well as other Hearst sites, competitors' sites and national sites, for what's going on locally and nationally with an eye on how it can be repackaged for our platforms
* Monitor website analytics to help identify issues of importance to both print and digital readers
* Monitor trending topics from social media to inform editorial decisions
* Bring fresh ideas to daily content creation both for website stories and how to promote them on social media, such as innovation, special projects, etc.
* Manage a 24-hour news cycle -- meaning early mornings, late nights,
holidays and weekends are sometimes part of the job
What will it take to be successful?
* Innate sense of what clicks and what will be trending later in the day
* Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks
* Demonstrated command of editing and understanding how to produce
superior content across multiple platforms
* Blogger or journalism background
* Social media native, familiar with algorithms, audiences, and insight
* Experience running social ads
* Team player who works collaboratively
* Initiative, drive, passion
* Bachelor’s degree in journalism
* Experience working with content management systems and online
* 2 years’ experience in digital space
* Comfort with video, video editing, and photography is a plus
Join our Team!
If interested, please submit a resume and cover letter to The Telegraph Managing Editor Nathan Grimm, email@example.com,
with the subject line "Web and Social Producer.